Lowery improving, moves out of ICU today

Friends and family of Ashely Lowery are seeing signs that the junior safety is improving daily.

Some are subtle and some are not so subtle.

When fellow Kentucky teammates Zack and Daron Blaylock came to visit Lowery in the north Georgia intensive care unit where he has been since his serious car accident early Saturday morning, one of the twins talked about going to the beach soon.

“Please, take me with you,” Lowery pleaded with a wide smile.

Family friend and spokesman Doug Stutsman said he saw that as a positive sign that Lowery is on the mend after the single-car accident that threw him more than 100 feet from his mangled Nissan Altima.

It seems Lowery is making progress toward getting to the beach one day soon.

He has been discharged from the ICU and will be moved to a regular hospital room on Wednesday afternoon.

“It’s a huge step and once he gets into a normal room and doesn’t have all the tubes and wires and everything connected to him, he’ll be a lot more settled in and relaxed,” Stutsman said.

While there is no timetable, he said the family is hopeful that Lowery might be able to leave the hospital soon.

“We’re hoping by the end of the week. He’s ready to get out of there now,” Stutsman said. “He’s ready to go.”

Visitors to the hospital so far have included defensive end Alvin “Bud” Dupree and the Blaylock twins. Former UK safety Martavius Neloms, who is like an older brother to Lowery, calls several times a day.

An extended visit with Cats Coach Mark Stoops earlier this week “was really great for Ashely.”

There are plenty of physical signs that Lowery is improving as well, including him getting up and out of the hospital bed.

 “He’s gotten up a few times,” Stutsman said. “He’s taken two or three steps. He’s improved a lot compared to yesterday and the day before, it’s just incredible how far he’s come.”

Nurses likely will have him up moving around more once he gets to a regular hospital room.

As for the accident on Saturday, Stutsman said Lowery has no recollection of what happened.

 “I don’t think he’ll ever fully remember it,” the family spokesman said. “He has no clue. We’re just so thankful that he’s even alive and able to communicate at all, we’re not trying to push him to go back to that moment or anything like that.”

About Jennifer Smith

Jen Smith has been a sports writer at the Herald-Leader since 2000, covering everything from high school sports to auto racing to various University of Kentucky sports. A native of Louisville and a graduate of the University of Kentucky (much to the dismay of her Louisville graduate mother and Indiana graduate father), Jen now resides in downtown Lexington with her husband and two young sons. You can follow her on Twitter @jenheraldleader or send her an email at jsmith3@herald-leader.com.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.