UK ticket figure explanation

As most schools do, Kentucky counts its season tickets sold in its final attendance figure for each game.

So the announced crowd of 40,992 at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday included the 38,000-plus season tickets sold. In response to an open records request by the Herald-Leader, as of Sept. 8, Kentucky had sold 38,554 season tickets.

When asked for the number of tickets/passes scanned manually on Saturday, UK spokesman Tony Neely told the Herald-Leader that the number wasn’t available and that UK had never been asked for it.

About Jennifer Smith

Jen Smith has been a sports writer at the Herald-Leader since 2000, covering everything from high school sports to auto racing to various University of Kentucky sports. A native of Louisville and a graduate of the University of Kentucky (much to the dismay of her Louisville graduate mother and Indiana graduate father), Jen now resides in downtown Lexington with her husband and two young sons. You can follow her on Twitter @jenheraldleader or send her an email at jsmith3@herald-leader.com.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to UK ticket figure explanation

1. john says:

Can the LHL do an open records request for the actual attendance?

2. steve says:

wow! talk about an empty sec stadium. i guess most of the die hard uk football fans finally died.

3. Tom says:

Mitch, did ya think it would get this bad?

4. Mark Liptak says:

Reality was that there might, might have been 20 thousand fans there.

Kentucky has had a lot of low, embarrassing moments in their football history. I can’t recall this program being this bad in a long time…and I was a freshman at UK in 1973.

And then the A.D. has the gumption to “call out” the fan base.

Incredible. And incredibly stupid.

Mark Liptak

5. Jimmy Johnson says:

From my understanding there were about 18,500 tickets scanned at the gates for toady’s game and half of those fans left in the 2nd quarter, so around 9,750 fans were there for most of the game. Fire JOKESTER now and get the program turned around before it’s to late.

6. boblanderson says:

Transparency?

7. deepthinker says:

Anyone with basic eyesight could tell that Commonwealth Stadium was so empty that the ESPNU did everything it could to hide the empty seats.

Then Mitch makes his stupid statement about people not coming because they have an agenda against Joker Philips. The agenda is really simple, win and make it to bowl games. Philips had a winning season if you count the win against FL St. If you do that, then you have to count the loss the next year in the Liberty Bowl, then last years disaster of a season. Followed by this mess of one. The fans of UK football deserve better. Those on this team deserve better. So Mitch, do what you must do and that is relieve Joker soon. That way you can find an excellent coach and save the recruits that have already committed to UK.

If not, get use to the empty seats and the calls for your firing too.

8. Larry says:

Subtract out the Vandy fans, and tickets sold to Vanderbilt and what do you get?

9. David says:

I was up there again for another loss, this time in the rain and if there was 20,000 in attendance that will be gracious. I am to my ropes end paying out $3K a year for tickets and donations,. The school better show me they want to change the program around and I do not mean a 6 win record, I want us to try to get where we win 9,10,11 or 12 wins a year. If everyone else is content being so so I am going to stay home and save that money each year.

10. Mary says:

They know exactly how many ticket holders entered the game. Every ticket that gets scanned I’m sure goes into a database that tallies the numbers. I suppose its called denial.